Skip to content

General

21 results found

1. webhook, allow placeholder in url

URLs for webhooks should have the option of inserting placeholders in the url.

E.g. the push service Pushover uses a url like
    https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json?user=xxx&token=yyy&message=Website%20Down to send a push message to my phone.

I would like to specify the message, but the url would need placeholders which get replaced by updown.io.

E.g. like this:
    https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json?user=xxx&token=yyy&message={{description}} to use the webhooks data entry description.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Domain Expire push event in Zapier?

Hi, I see that you send notifications for SSL renewal, but I haven't found an option for domain expiration warnings in Zapier Events. I know you can set up email alerts for when a domain is about to expire, but I also need this alert to be available as a Zapier event. Could you please add this feature?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, the thing is this feature is a bit experimental and not 100% reliable due to its reliance on the (sometimes poorly maintained) RDAP/WHOIS databases. That's why  it's disabled by default and I want to evaluate on the long-run first the helpvul vs annoying ratio, before integrating it more into the other notifications channels (Zapier, Slack, SMS, Teams, Native webhooks, etc..). Because if it requires too much maintenance I may choose not to pursue the idea. I'll keep this suggestion open to gather votes but this is unlikely to happen soon.

3. Monitor for up ports as alert

The idea is to add an option to create an alert if a port is opened (and not closed as usual).
    The goal is to detect firewall misconfiguration.

For example, monitor the port SSH 22.
    If the port is accessible, trigger an alert.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. How about a dark theme?

How about having a dark theme? I find it a bit aggressive to the eyes after few minutes. Having a toggle button and choose between original or website in a dark theme would be amazing!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is not planned at the moment but kept open to gather interest. updown value being in alerts more than in the website this is not high priority. The less time you spend on the website the better if it's done well :)

5. Add blacklist monitoring

Having a blacklist monitor to check for IP / domain / mail blacklisting would be great.
    Some big web companies are hosting thousand of users and shared IPs are regularly blacklisted due to phishing or malware distribution.

Similar services:

https://www.site24x7.com/tools/blacklist-check.html
    https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/tools/blacklist-check/

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Import CA for all checks, or import "valid" certificate by check

For some reason, we have certificats only valide by our internal CA Root (not validate by a CA Authority) for disable warn/fail but keep expiration feature we need one of those feature:

• import cert by service
    • import ca root by account
    • an interface validation to valide the actual certificate.
    4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

One important thing to note here is that having an invalid certificate does NOT prevent the expiration notifications. This is independent so you can keep an "invalid" certificate forever (updown will not notify you again about this) and still benefit from expiration warnings. This way we already kind of "tolerate" this use-case of running a non-publicly trusted certificate.

About the suggested changes, I would like to avoid the custom cert/CA UI because that's a lot of added complexity for a very small use-case among my clients. It'll generate more support also as people will wonder what this do, try to upload other certificates, it'll be annoying for self-signed certificates, etc... The UI to manually "acknowledge" that one cert should be considered valid though sounds more doable for me, I'll keep this suggestion to track the demand and will probably add this someday.

7. Capability to check UDP's ports, for services with just an udp port

For some services we have only a UDP port to check, just tcp is aviable at this moment.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Indeed that's an idea but unfortunately there's no notion of "connection" for UDP so it's not possible to know if a port is filtered or if a service is simply not responding because it waits for a specific message for example. There is just one obvious case when the port is "officially" closed and so a response is sent to tell you that. Which kind of service would you like to monitor? would it require to send a specific packet? would it need to check for a response? Is just knowing that no response is received (not knowing if it's filtered or open) enough for your use-case?

8. Read-only REST API keys per check

I would like to be able to generate read-only API keys per check, so I would be able to use the API to directly show information within customers sites (WordPress Dashboard).

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, this is something which have been asked a couple times in the past and is under review for the roadmap.

Quick question: if this is for website which have a public status page, how would you feel about a public (no api key) read-only API for them?

Or do you prefer one read-only API key per check?

9. DNS record checks

Hi,
    I have implemented a simple php script on one of my servers to take a query via GET method and returns the requested DNS record.
    The site is restricted to updown.io servers and uses a URL in the following format :

https://webserver.com/lookup.php?T=A&D=google.co.uk&R=IP

This uses the following fields :
    T - Type of record to return eg. MX/A/TXT
    D - Domain to check eg. google.co.uk
    R - Record field to return. eg. ip for ip address
    The server code simple checks if the record type is a valid one we accept, checks the domain name is in a valid format…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve just merged this with another one about DNS check. This is something we’re thinking about but is not planned yet.

In the meantime what you made is a great workaround, if other users are interested I encourage them to leave a comment here with a way to contact them so you may give them the URL of your service if you want.

10. Finetune the SSL expiration alert period

Right now, Let's Encrypt certificate expiration alert is sent 14 days, 7 days, 1 day before.

I have a certbot that renews it 5 days before.
    So every month, I receive alerts 14 days and 7 days for all domains,
    which are perfectly normal. Hence, some 'alert noise' that I don't take into account anymore...

Suggestion:
    Let us select a custom period for SSL expiration dates.
    I think globally, with 2 different settings: one for "standard" certificate, the other for 'let's encrypt' certificates.

--> only alert when worth alerting :)
    --> smarter monitoring

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Actually 14, 7, 1 is already the special schedule for let’s encrypt certificates. This is automatically detected by updown.io so you don’t have to, normal 1-year certificates get an additional 30 days reminder.

The threshold for let’s encrypt certs starts at 14 days because the default renew delay is 30 days before expiration: https://certbot.eff.org/docs/using.html. This can be down to 23 days with a weekly cron for example (pretty common) so that’s why we chose 14 days, so you have plenty of time to renew but still have time to investigate and fix any potential auto-renew issues.

If you’d rather renew your cert only 5 days before expiration that’s up to you but we won’t recommend or support this configuration as we consider it dangerous ☺

I’ll mark this suggestion as “Under Review” to measure the need for this.

11. Allow maintance window for planned IT jobs

Allow maintenance window for planned IT job (server down)

101 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Ok I'm moving this back to "under review" as it's gathering a lot of interest, but this would require first https://updown.uservoice.com/forums/177972/suggestions/16982392 and https://updown.uservoice.com/forums/177972/suggestions/15589635 to be implemented to provide a decent UI for this.

An alternative way to doing this now is to automate the check disable/mute on your end using the API, quite easy to do in a maintenance script: https://updown.io/doc/how-to-automate-check-disable

12. 24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. API for pushover.net integration

I use pushover.net for all of my lightweight notifications - it's simple, reliable, cheap and very good so fits well with updown.io :)

At its simplest, integration takes the form of an API call with a couple of tokens and a customised message.

https://pushover.net/faq#technical-ips

68 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all, there's now two options for that which are:

1. Through Zapier (we just added native Zapier integration): https://updown.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1911991  Using this you can connect pushover.net and receive alerts from updown.io. I'm keeping this suggestion "under review" to gather interest about a native integration with pushover.

2. Using a DigitalOcean function to catch the webhook and push it to pushover (contributed by Marc): https://github.com/MarcHagen/function-updownio-to-pushover

14. Team accounts

Teams aka multiple users per account

352 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is not something I have plans for in the near future because of the complexity and the wide other range of feature requests it would attract due to bigger clients (permissions, roles, audit logs, SSO, SLA, etc...). But I might do it at some point if I want to target bigger clients.

15. 148 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This was planned for a while because initially with only the individual status pages there was no way to specify any text. But now that we have the multi-site status pages (e.g. https://demo.updown.io/), there is a free text "description" at the top, which supports links, newlines and emojis. This allows for this kind of use-case (roughly) as you can edit this field to indicate incidents, times, some emoji to catch attention on current status, link for more details, etc..

Now that we have this, I prefer to wait before implementing more specific status page features because we don't really want to become a full-fledged status page provider otherwise people will ask for MUCH more (notifications to clients, RSS, integrating other metrics, custom design, etc..) and we have enough work to spend our time on the core product (the monitoring) already ☺

16. Add Chinese monitor location

The response time to Chinese server (located on Alibaba or Baidu for example) is very slow for non-Chinese clients.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Locations  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

While I understand the need, being in China is a lot of work (mainly support and maintenance) as the network conditions are erratic and with out current double check policy would not actually notify if your website is unreachable in China (unless we have two servers here and become a regional monitoring service but that’s not the objective and we can’t just do that in every country). I’ll keep the idea open to measure interest. Also if some of you have recommendations for a dependable and affordable hosting provider in China I’m interested.

17. Bulk add domains

Bulk add domains

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Monthly/yearly reports

Get Uptime report for the whole month/year

69 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Widget and badge status

Status pages are really good, but it's sometimes simpler to have a widget to integrate into another site.
    (badges are also very cool ;))

50 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Grouping checks / tagging

Ability to create group of checks or tag them to ease search and filtering.

83 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There's no plan to add a new feature for this, but it's already possible to do basic grouping by using the check alias (e.g. "Client A / Site 1"), this way you can sort by Alias in your dashboard and have your checks grouped by client/project/etc.

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base