General

1. Make per-stack (IPv4/6) status more accessible

Currently, many of the downtimes I experience affect only IPv6, whereas IPv4 continues to work as usual. However, there are currently several places in updown.io where it doesn’t distinguish between such a partial outage and complete unavailability (IPv4/6 both down). In those cases, it simply marks the check as “down”. This is a real shame given that updown.io already has dual stack monitoring out of the box and is able to show separate statuses on the dashbord like in the attached screenshot (which is awesome!). It would be extremely useful to have this data exposed elsewhere as well, in particular:

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion, well actually the first part is already implemented, when you have a downtime only on IPv4 or IPv6 it’ll say “DOWN (IPv6 only)” in the alerts. I see on your accounts that you didn’t saw this message because the checks were just created and already down, and we currently need at least one successful check on both stacks before to trigger this message. But thinking about this I’m not sure why so I’ll probably change this to make in work also in your case.

Also you’re right it should be added to the UI.

About the API and Webhook you can already get very detailed informations about dual stack tests in the /downtimes endpoint using the “results=true” parameter. I’ll gradually make more details available to other endpoints.

2. Warn about expiring domain names

Domain name registration expiry notice

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First part of this feature has been deployed (the one fetching expiration dates from whois database) but the problem is there’s a lot of mistakes in this process because it requires parsing free-text from all different TLD whois format (which is not standard). So we’re currently making sure the data is correct (at least when we have it) and improving the parser with the values we see in the wild, to ensure we don’t send any false alarms about this when we enable the alerts (also implemented but disabled for now). Knowing this, if you want to try anyway we could enable the alerts for some beta testers, let me know.

3. Change Slack webhook integration to Slack webhook URL (so other services which can emulate Slack's parsing to use this feature as well)

Instead of making the Slack webhook integration via the API, just allow users to put in a Slack URL. That way any other service which can emulate the Slack webhook schema can use the webhook feature.

As an example Discord has webhooks and if you add "/slack" to the end of a Discord webhook URL then it will parse the data as Slack does.

Currently I cannot use Updown with Discord. I also suspect that many other programs have an option to parse data like Slack so you could knock out a few webhook integrations in one simple step.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add phone number to SMS to exclude from Do not Disturb mode

Add phone number to SMS to exclude from Do not Disturb mode. During the night my iPhone is within "DND" mode and the updown.io service does not send a phone number. I am not able to exclude the messages from the DND mode because I need to create a contact for this which is not possible because there is no phone number

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We started moving away from the “updown.io“ alphanumeric sender ID to a regular number but this will take time as we need to make sure the deliverability stays good in every country

You can follow the migration here:
    https://headwayapp.co/updown-changelog/long-number-for-sms-alerts-(you-can-help)-106488

If your country isn’t migrated yet please contact us so we can send some test SMS to verify deliverability with you.

5. Log of uptime/downtime

Maybe I overlooked it, but is there a log of the incidents available? Simply a text list of the times when a website went down, and when it was up again.

136 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone, I’ve just added a way to get the detailed results from the last 5 checks before downtime and recovery to the downtime API, all you have to do is add the “results=true” parameter, like this:

https://updown.io/api/checks/yyyy/downtimes?api-key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&results=true

Warnings:
    - This API is alpha version, it can still change.
    - The response can be huge, I recommend using this only when needed and with http gzip compression if you can.
    - The dual stack results (IPv4 and IPv6) will NOT repeat “body” and “received_headers” if they are the same as in the parent result record, to save space.

Let me know what you think!

6. Public status page with several checks

A status page with several checks, showing daily/weekly/monthly stats for all of them.

271 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. iOS Application

iOS app with push notifications

14 votes
    Vote